Thursday, February 24, 2011

My Workspace: 7' Triangle Loom


This is a 7' triangle or tri-loom for making shawls.   Right now I do work with it where it is on the wall, until I get an easel built that will allow me to work anywhere with it.  My yarn for the current project stays under the bench until I need it.  I get the best light by opening the front door!  Some stats:  it has 684 nails that were drilled and pounded in my yours truly.   Supply cost to make this loom was only $30!


My first project, using Lambs Pride mercerized cotton.  A friend said she wanted one for her wall, thinking it was art!   This type of weaving creates its own warp as you go.  The above progress took about 2 hours.  The whole shawl took around 10-11 hours.  It is made with one continuous piece of yarn (until I changed colors, of course).   To make one shawl on this loom requires approx. 580 yards of yarn.


The colors are lovely and this was a fun first project.  When I took this off the loom however, the holes between the weaving did not close up and the warps and wefts slide all over the place.  Since it is mercerized, the yarn won't shrink enough to fix even after washing and drying.  Upon reflection, I needed a thicker more stretchy yarn.   Looking forward to the next project after a valuable lesson learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment